Thursday, September 11, 2008

More Vista/Apple Trouble!


I fought for a couple of hours yesterday because I tried to download the newest version of iTunes. Yep that's all just iTunes. I use iTunes to keep my music in some kind of order and to play things when I want them! I like the interface and the usability of the software, I am not into the limited playablity (drm) but that is another blog. Anyway, I downloaded the new version and then when it was finished it prompted me for a computer reboot. I thought it suspicious at the time but a lot of software needs reboot when updated so I let it go. I then worked on something else for a minute then went back to my desktop to see where I was at. I tried to start iTunes again and got the same reboot prompt. I then knew that there was an issue. I then noticed that my network connection had been terminated. I thought that it was absolutely crazy!! I proceeded to work for about an hour and finally did a system restore. After that didn't work I then took it back to two days prior!! After that my network came back but itunes was shot. I immediately went online to see if others had experienced the same issues. Sure enough they had. Vista has been leading the way with incompatibilities, but I think that Apple dropped the ball on this one. So anyway after researching a bit I discovered the fix for the problem. Here it is in order!! Be careful that you follow directions as you can make major changes in regedit:

For those interested, this is how to fix this:

go to start menu --> run (or window key + r)
type regedit, press enter
go to computer/hkey_classes_root/
find pcast and right click it
click permissions
during the course of this you may get a message saying you cant change anything, but you can change who can change things. click ok on it (possibly more that once).
click advanced, then owner tab
change the owner from administrator to whatever name you are using
click ok twice to get out of the pop-ups completely
right click pcast again
click permissions
click OWNER RIGHTS
by full control and read click the allow boxes.
click ok

There are some cool new features in iTunes... for what it's worth!!!

Let me know if this helped you by commenting on this one... maybe I can save someone a headache and hours of work!!

Blessings,
Pastor Carl

No comments: